Sunday, 2 November 2014

Entry 7 - Week 8

Assignment 2 is coming along very well. At first, it was a bit difficult to find the right place to start my proofs, but once I got started it turns out that each of the proofs are actually strongly connected to each other. While the proofs are considerably harder than the ones we've gotten in our tutorials, the format is the same, so for once I'm not too worried about proper form when writing up an assignment!

One thing that really stood out for me during Friday's lecture was when Professor Heap told us that proofs can actually contain sentences and writing. While working through assignment 2's more difficult proofs, I found that sticking to a bunch of "Then..." statements was really awkward and limiting; being able to actually write in an argument would have been much more convenient. I'd already finished most of my proofs by Friday, so this discovery came a bit late, but it's good to know for the future.

Looking at the sample test given, I'm feeling confident in my grasp of the material so far. Between the tutorials and the assignment, I'm not having too many difficulties with proofs. I think I could still use some help on complexity and big-O, but it doesn't look like that will be on Wednesday's test, so I'll deal with it after.

No comments:

Post a Comment