Wednesday's lecture on complexity and worst-cases moved pretty quickly, and I didn't have the time to really grasp all of the content. I reviewed the slides on the webpage to catch up, and also checked chapter 4 of the course notes, which were actually really helpful and intuitive. What I still find odd, though, is that the number of steps for an insertion or selection sort increases according to a quadratic. I understand why the number of steps in these sorts increases exponentially, but I have no idea how you would prove that the number of steps can be represented by, specifically, a quadratic. I think that's beyond the material we've covered so far, though. Maybe we'll cover it next week.
The week's tutorial went well, and I'm feeling much more confident going into them now that I've been through a couple. The due date for Assignment 2 is coming really quickly, though, so I think I'll get started on that.
No comments:
Post a Comment